Antithyroid. Blocks peroxidase violates iodization and the formation of di-, tri- and tetraiodothyronine.
Well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and is rapidly metabolized.
About 35% is excreted in the urine in unchanged form and as conjugates for 24 hours.
Excreted into breast milk (concentration in breast milk is 10 times less than in maternal blood) can cause hypothyroidism neonates whose mothers during lactation took propylthiouracil in therapeutic doses.
Haupt Pharma Berlin GmbH, Germany
1 tablet contains:
propylthiouracil 50 mg;
corn and gelatinized starch,
colloidal silicon dioxide,
- hyperthyroidism (Graves’ disease, toxic thyroid adenoma);
- Preparation for thyroid resection;
- preparations for the treatment of radioactive iodine;
- autoimmune thyroiditis with hyperthyroidism;
- preoperative preparation for the treatment of toxic goiter and postoperative therapy.
- active hepatitis;
- hypersensitivity to propylthiouracil.
- persistent hepatitis;
- fatty liver;
- nodular goiter.
- On the part of the cardiovascular system and blood (blood, hemostasis):Rarely – agranulocytosis, accompanied by septic complications disorders of erythropoiesis, hemolysis.Very rarely – thrombocytopenia, vasculitis, lupus-like syndrome, periarteritis nodosa.
- Allergic reactionsSkin rash, urticaria.Very rarely – hypersensitivity reactions.
- From the nervous system and sensory organsDizziness, neuromuscular disorders, disturbances of taste and smell sensitivity.
- From the digestive tractNausea, vomiting, pain in the stomach.Very rarely – liver damage: gepatitopodobnye reaction with hepatocyte necrosis, transient cholestasis.
- OtherEnlargement of the thyroid gland, the formation of goiter in the newborn, arthralgia without signs of inflammation of the joints, interstitsialnayapnevmoniya, peripheral edema, alopecia, a positive reaction Kumbsa.Very rarely – drug fever, lymphadenopathy.
How to accept, acceptance rate and dosage
Establish individually, depending on the severity of hyperthyroidism.
The average single dose of 100-300 mg; the multiplicity of reception – 3-6 times / day, after meals.
Average daily intake for children aged 6 to 10 years – 50-150 mg / day over 10 years – 150-300 mg / day.
Duration of therapy is 1-1.5 years.
In a dry place, protected from light at a temperature not higher than 25 ° C
If treatment Propitsilom ® is performed on a “block and replace” in combination with thyroxine, the dose propitsil ® should be increased.
Tireostaticheskim effect propitsil ® is reduced with a simultaneous or preceding application of iodinated radiopaque substances or drugs.
B propylthiouracil connection with the ability to influence the effect of free active fractions propranolol and coumarin derivatives need more correction etihLS doses.
Treatment is carried out under the control of the level of thyroid hormones, morphological picture of blood, the level of activity of hepatic transaminases, bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase.
Pregnancy and lactation
Contraindicated in pregnancy, during lactation.
The use in children
Application is possible in children older than 6 years, according to the dosage regimen.
Cases of acute intoxication were observed. Chronic overdose leads to development of goiter and hypothyroidism with symptoms, dependent on the severity of hypothyroidism due to specific effect of antithyroid agents.
Treatment: Special measures / actions are not there. Gastric lavage and endoscopic removal of residual tablets are not effective because of the rapid absorption of the active substance.
With the development of goiter and hypothyroidism, accompanied by symptoms correlated with the severity of hypothyroidism, and due to chronic drug overdose treatment Propitsilom ® and stop expecting spontaneous recovery of thyroid function. Replacement therapy with thyroxine is carried out in the event that this is justified by the severity of hypothyroidism.